Life of endless possibilities..

Thursday, April 28, 2005

When the East meets West.

Everyone is tired today.

Mdm Lim seems to be more patient with me. I wonder why? I better not say too soon.

I wasn’t intending to have PE today. Since they wanted to practise for the 12X100m relay, I ran in my Full uniform. It was very unpleasant. It was so hot and sweaty, not only that, my skirt flew up when I was running. Anyway, the class seems very enthusiastic about Sport’s day and the Sea Carnival. We are going dragon boating this Sunday again. Tomorrow, we are going to practise our run again.

CME was about Love. There was nothing much about to talk about.

I was telling Madeline about me, a Chinese girl sashaying in a modernised and Americanised society. In fact, we all are. I went for Chinese today. It was about the East meeting the West. I think the talk was quite interesting. Well, at least now I know that the China Chinese people don’t address people by their names but status according to their age. There was also a direct translation thing that Mr Tan and Miss Yue happily participated by giving their comments or definitions. The English words to Chinese words are cool! Eg, the fox and the turtle. The Movie was in English and it clearly shows the erosion of cultural identities. It reminds me of the book,’Joy Luck Club’ by Amy Tan.

Let me quote a few lines from the book..

The old woman remembered a swan she had bought many years ago in Shanghai for a foolish sum. This bird, boasted the vendor, was once a duck that stretched its neck in hopes of becoming a goose. The woman and the swan sailed across an ocean, stretching their necks towards America. Upon reaching there, the official took her swan and left her with only one feather. That one feather was a memory of the hopes and dreams in coming to America. Now, the old woman was old and she had a daughter who grew up speaking only English and swallowing more Coca-cola than sorrow. For a long time, she hoped to tell her daughter, “ this feather may look worthless but it comes from afar and carries with it all my good intentions.” She waited for a day that she could tell her daughter in perfect American English.

Most stories revolve around a modern, chic life against a backdrop of old-fashion and rigid-thinking Chinese society. I think it is really a good book to devour over free time. I read it once and I am reading it again.

Back to Chinese enrichment..
Sway was swaying halfway through and I think Miss Yue was funny. I think she is a cool teacher because of what she did. I was so embarrassed and afraid she would fall on me, I lean over to Madeline’s side. Oh well!

Mrs Toh is really a thesaurus, she was asking me to tell the rest how angry she would be if they were to be late on Sat. She describes, “I would be very mad, furious, exasperated, hopping mad, erupting like a volcano, infuriated, cross, fuming! She was quite flustered today, because I told her the SRJC called to say they didn’t receive the details of the competition, which would be held this Saturday.

She put me in charge of the registration forgetting I got two weddings to attend on Sat. I won’t be going, dear Mrs Toh! CIP points are given, shoots! I wish I could split myself up into 2.

I was on my way home, taking my usual stroll at the void decks after alighting from the bus. As usual, a gaggle of Aunties and Grannies sit by the void deck to talk, presumably gossips. It wasn’t a senior citizen corner but I think it was self-created. As I walked pass, I soon came under tight scrutiny, my dishevelled appearance, thank goodness I was in uniform.

This Friday I am going to do CIP at Changi hospital to be an usher for some blood check for MALES.

Things to do today:
Make Miss Wee’s Card-done
Study Chem practical- before I go to sleep
Do maths tutorial- tomorrow
Do Chem Tutorial- tomorrow
Do Gavel stuff- done

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home